Saturday, August 22, 2009

Just the two of us

We weren't building castles in the sand, but Paul and I did enjoy a little getaway last weekend. We were gone Thurs-Mon. to Park Rapids. I wasn't thrilled about going, but once we got there, it was fun....minus the 3 pounds I gained from perpetual eating.

We stayed in very nice cabins along the Fishhook River. It was just a mom & pop place. There were 7 cabins, and the owners were in their late 50's or early 60's. They were very nice. We had free access to canoes and paddle boats. It was nice and peaceful. An added bonus was the AC. 90 degrees and humid is rough on a pregnant girl who hasn't seen much summer weather this year! :)

Thursday night we ate at a German restaurant. It was very good. We then headed in to the Woodtick Theater for a "Branson" type production. The average age was at least 65. You can imagine the quality of the comedy. :) It was still enjoyable.

Friday we took in Dorset, some local shopping and then headed to another theater. The play was a comedy, and we got a lot of good laughs. Plus we were surrounded by thunderstorms on our way home. I loved watching the lightening show.

Saturday Paul ran a 10K through Itasca. He managed to get lost on a primitive trail, trip on a tree root and strain his already injured groin muscle. It's been a tough summer for running. To say I have a disgruntled runner on my hands is putting in mildly. We then headed for Bemidji to go back to a few places that we saw from our trip in July. It rained most of the time and turned out to be a wasted trip.

Sunday we explored Itasca. I had mosquito issues and forgot to pack the bug spray, so our nature path walking was short lived. We then decided to scout out the Lake George area for the elusive wild blueberry bushes. We spied raspberries and decided to start picking. We split in the woods. After 45 minutes of picking an aggressive bee decided to pester me. I slowly started walking to the car and saw Paul...he persisted (the bee that is). I started to run. In my panic, I forgot I had the berries in my hand and when the bee swarmed I tossed my bucket. There went all my hard work. I did manage to get in the car. Paul started to pick up my berries and the bee came after him. It was much more fun to watch. He ran...it followed. He picked up a big stick (not sure why) and started swingin. I just sat and laughed. Once he got my berries picked up, he opened the car door to hand them to me and wouldn't you know....in came the bee. Oh the joys of nature!


No comments: