Sunday, November 15, 2009

Frustration

We had Aaron's two week doctor appt on Friday. Everything went well except he has not gained weight since we left the hospital. He is still 5 1/2 pounds. I knew he still looked small, but I didn't realize he wasn't growing. I've had to start supplementing him in addition to breastfeeding. I was really disappointed about having to do this because babies can become lazy and prefer the instant gratification of a bottle. The plan is to get a little fat on Aaron and then take away the supplementing and let him just nurse. I'm not too sure that's going to be the outcome. I've been in contact with the lactation specialist. Hopefully she can help me through this. I have a routine that I have to follow, and I've also started drinking raspberry leaf tea to boost my supply! Alex was a mostly a formula baby, and he's a pretty smart little cookie which helps ease my mind.

Tomorrow will be the first big test of my sanity. I will have no help this week! YIKES!!! I wouldn't be too worried if Alex hadn't come down with something. He's been running a temp of 102. This afternoon and evening have been terrible.

As far as Alex's interaction with Aaron....well, so far so good! There are times I can tell Alex feels a little left out....mostly when I'm nursing. He tries to be a very helpful big brother. I hope things continue to go well.

1 comment:

The Kochers said...

When Grant was born, I tired so hard to nurse him, but my body just couldn't produce enough to keep him satified.I too had a lactation specialist come. I had to weigh Grant dailey because he too wasn't gaining any weight.
I ended up supplimenting formula just in the middle of the night, so that Kurt could feed him, and unfortunitally you are right, babies get lazy and prefer the bottle. It was a never ending struggle, and very frustrating. After months of trying we had to go straight to the bottle.

Hope you have better luck than I did.

Anjelika :)