Monday, October 26, 2009

The last couple of weeks...

YUCK!!! That pretty much sums up what's been going on. It first started about two weeks ago with Alex getting sick. He never ran a fever, so I wasn't ever concerned about the flu or H1N1. He was very congested, sneezy and complained of itchy eyes...sounded like a cold to me. I figured I was doomed since he wanted to smother me in kisses ( you can't resist those no matter how sick he is), and he isn't able to blow his nose yet. About midway through the week my throat started getting itchy at night. For some reason, nothing really progressed...just a little congestion. Then Paul started the same thing, but he never got sick either. I thought we were in the clear.

Since everyone was feeling well, I decided to head up to Langdon for one last scrapbooking weekend on the 17th. That Friday night my throat started itching, and it was downhill from there. This past week wasn't too fun. I've been extremely congested in my chest and sinuses so sleeping has been a problem. My mom was worried about me being exhausted before the baby even getting here, so she came down to help me out on Thursday. It was a nice relief to have help with Alex. He didn't understand why I couldn't go full speed each day. Paul was busy all weekend, so I would have been flying solo. I can honestly say that today is the first day I feel better. Since I never ran a fever or had a sore throat, I knew that there wasn't much to be done. I just needed to wait.

In the mean time, Alex learned a very valuable yet costly lesson. After telling him over and over not to touch the stove, curiosity got the best of him. He sat most of the first half of his right hand on the burner. It was awful. His hand blistered immediately, and he was screaming in pain. Paul was running errands, so I called him to get home. Alex wouldn't go to anyone but me. We called ask a nurse for some help. I was ready to take him to the ER due to the incredible amount of pain he was in. Due to all the flu calls, it took almost 45 minutes to talk to a nurse. Two hours after the ordeal he would scream out in pain and tell me how it burned and was hot. Everyone was miserable and worried.

These were taken this afternoon


I've continued to keep his hand wrapped like a mummy in hopes of keeping the blisters from popping. He has been very good about the bandages and calls them his medicine. However, tonight the "big one" burst. This will make it easier for infection to set in. I slathered his sterile gauze in antibiotic ointment and re-wrapped him. I'm hoping for a speedy healing time. Although from what I've read, his degree of burns can take several weeks to heal. :(

In the middle of all of this, we found out that MeritCare put restrictions on visitation. Only immediate family members are allowed...and they must be 18 years or older. This means Alex will not get to come to the hospital when the baby is born. My mom, dad and Paul can visit. I certainly understand their concern, but it has kind of put a damper on my mood. I just hope everyone stays healthy. I would hate to not have Paul in the room with me. I'm not sure how we will handle company after we get home. There are just too many compromised or immature immune systems under this roof :)!

No comments: