Saturday, May 3, 2008

Song of the South

We are back! And from what I understand, I picked a perfect time to leave!
My mom, Alex, and I took off on April 19th to head down South to visit my family. Our first stop was the great state of Texas. However, things didn't start off all that smoothly.

Alex got a big boy car seat and I had asked Paul to install it in my Mom's car before he left for St. Cloud. Our plan was to leave at 10 am. As my mom and I were packing, I bumped the car seat and noticed it wasn't anchored in tight enough. After two hours of trying to tighten it and many angry word directed at Paul...I believe the voicemail I left went something like "If I were at the race today I would have thrown a rock at your feet so you would have tripped!"...I remembered that the EMT place did car seat checks. So, at 1pm we took off.

I was worried about how Alex would do riding. He was a good traveler as long as there was someone in the back seat with him. Unfortunatley, I get very car sick in the back, so I had to do all of the driving.

We had planned to spend a week at my aunt and uncles in TX and a week with my aunt and uncle in AR. We ended up not being able to go to AR because my cousin came down with a staph infection. I was strongly advised to not take a chance on getting sick. I was very bummed because seeing everyone was the point of my trip.

In TX, we were on the go everyday. Of course, I had a list of places we had to eat...BBQ, Mexican food, Mama's Pizza, and Church's Chicken or Popeye's. We did a lot of shopping. I even got to watch some severe weather. I got a chance to visit with a couple of my cousins and an aunt and uncle from another part of TX.

Alex hit many milestones while we were gone. He has two new teeth and is working on a molar, he weaned himself from a bottle, he can clap and pull himself up to a standing position and he drinks whole milk. I'm so glad to be done with formula

I'm glad to be home, but I really miss the South. When you hear there is 7 inches of snow as your standing out in shorts in 80 degree weather, who would be excited about returning :).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh!!! What an action packed family vacation!! Enjoy reading all about it.
Karen

Anonymous said...

Fun to hear about your trip. Nice to have you back too. I know Maria missed your visits. Katelynn too with Alex. They are going to have more and more fun playing all the time. Hope we can get together on our next trip to Fargo.
Love Marlyn and Bob