Monday, April 26, 2010

Garden Party

This weekend Fargo Parks put on a garden party at Rheault Farm. Alex was very excited and kept saying he was going to the party garden. Not quite!

It turned out to be really neat. Each kid was given a passport to be stamped at each station. The zoo from Wahpeton was there. They had a tortoise just wandering around for kids to touch, a big python, a ferret and a vulture (not for petting). There was a station to plant flowers seeds for the kids to take home, a plant walk (Alex won a flower pack), bug hunt, smell and feel plants, 3 crafts, the bug man (didn't get to see his table) and face painting. Plus, they provided free snacks. Alex really enjoys smelling flowers, so this was a blast for him. When we are at the grocery store it isn't the candy or cookie aisle we have to drag him away from, but the floral department!

Sunday morning we were greeted by our annual visitors. The mallard ducks are back! They were in the front yard this time. Usually they meander about the back. This is the 3rd year we've had ducks. I guess it's the female returning, but I'm going to check with my buddy, Mike, in fish and wildlife to see if that's correct. I remember that ducks are monogamous for a season, so that's why I think it's the same female. I hope to see them more through the summer!

3 comments:

Beret said...

Ha, ha! Party Garden - is that like a Beer Garden? He is his dad, huh?

Maria said...

Maybe a party garden is like a beer garden only with plants instead of beer? Wouldn't that sort of be a true combination of Mom and Dad? :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day out.
Welcome spring. Hope that Mike
could answer the questionable
mallard duck activity.
Karen